When you hear of Oprah, you think of greatness. Her epic career and stunning personality. She is famous, talented, rich and all round an exuberant woman. She is an activist for feminism and has been named the most influential woman in the world. She is an epitome of rugs to riches, literally; she used to wear rugs to school and would be made fun of by her so called friends and school mates.
She has won many deserving awards some that might take people forever to attain. Indeed, she is the world’s most passionate Television/Media proprietor.
So we picked out 20 crazy facts that you might not know, or might have forgotten.
1. She got a baby boy at the age of 14 and died due to unknown circumstances. But her family sold the story to National Enquirer in 1990.
2. Her initial name was ‘Orpah’ which was from the book of Ruth from the Bible. Her mother misspelled her name in her birth certificate and it stuck.
3. Her mother Vernita Lee was a house maid and her father,Vernon Winfrey was a coal miner turned barber.
4. She hated her birth name with ‘actual passion’
5. She once visited Switzerland and a salesman told her she could not afford the bag and there were cheaper ones for her. She said this during a speech about racial profiling while she had a net worth of $3.1 B.
6. She lived with her grandmother until the age of six.
7. She was skipped to first grade in kindergarten because she thought she new very many big words and the teacher agreed.
8. She knew how to read at an age of 3 and was an eloquent reader at the age of 4 .
9. Her half-brother, Jeffery died of AIDS-related causes in 1989.
10. Her career is 30 years old.
11. She got her child at fourteen after year of sexual abuse from a distant relative which led to her running away from home. She announced this on her show.
12. She stole money from her mother, to keep up with her spendthrift peers who encouraged her to also go out with older boys.
13. According to a genetic test, Winfrey is 89% Sub-saharan, 8% Native American and 8% East Asian.
14. Anna Wintour made Oprah loose some major weight to appear on the cover of vogue. She become the first black woman to do so.
15. She once gave everyone in her audience a Pontiac vehicle. She told those who couldn’t pay it’s tax could sell for money instead. Really, how rich is this woman?
16. She helped launch the careers of Dr Phil, Gayle King and Nate Berkus. Another reason not to be selfish.
17. She refuses to have kids, because she believes one thing has to suffer and it would probably be the kids because she is a workaholic. She also blames it on her mother since she wasn’t mothered.
18. During her teenage years she tried drugs including cocaine. We are glad she stopped or we would have a totally different story or none at all.
19. She is the richest black person in North America.
20. She was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama and honorary doctorate degrees from Duke and